Wednesday 3 July 2013

A Time To Remember


As I lay under the crisp covers of the duvet, I could make out the light that sliced its’ way through the small gap that parted the curtains. Even though my eyes were closed, the colour that entered my eyes was enough to awaken my senses.

Memories of yesterday came flooding into my head; the walk in the park, playing football with the boys, sneaking off to meet Dan at the Odeon, and sitting hand in hand on the back row. I never did find out what the film was about, but my time had been well spent and I was beaming when we had to say our goodbyes.

The smell of sea air came into my thoughts, and I was instantly whisked away to the small caravan that had been my home for 7 days earlier in the small sandy coves of Cornwall. How I longed for those days again, and yet how far away they were from my grasp.

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling. Where had that spider who was trailing its’ way across my room disappeared to? Well, they do say that you eat so many spiders in your sleep in your lifetime, and had my mouth claimed another of the victims that I was destined to gorge upon during my time of rest? I certainly hope not! Then I tried to clear my head of all the negative thoughts; tried to think of the past few weeks, and the happiness that they had bought me. No worries, no stress and no responsibilities. My parents had stopped nagging me to do jobs and had left me alone to enjoy my life as I felt.

But it was impossible, the dark clouds now replaced the rainbow of light that emanated through the slit in the curtains. The woe claimed my free mind, and I was suddenly brought back to reality. Yes I had enjoyed the good life, and I treasured every moment of that, but the summer holidays were over, and it was time to go back to school. First day of term syndrome is what I call it. Catching up with everyone on the first day, sharing stories of what had filled each other’s lives, trying to outdo each other, until the ridiculous could not hide amongst the truth any longer. I hated first day back with a passion, and so did my friends. The thought of losing freedom was enough to negate the joyous emotions of what was the Summer Holidays.

Even worse for me was that my first class back was 9CG; the tutor group from hell!


Maybe just one more ‘snooze’, for old times sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment